Sunday, December 15, 2013

German Pretzels


Recently I was aksed if I had ever made my own Laugen Brezel(german brezels that have been dipped in a baking soda or lye solution before baking. They are to die for, and you can enjoy them either as a Pretzel or Roll or better yet Crossiant. WEll, up untill now I had not ever attempted to make my own, but now my curiosity was peaked and so I set out to find a recipe.
I found two recipes on Chefkoch.de.  My first two attempts turned out quite well, although I have to admit that there is still tweaking to do. The Pretzel dough defintely needs to be thinner and I need to try out other types of flour. But that is all for another day-another post. Today for New Recipe Sunday I would like to share with all of you the recipes I tried out.

Brezen-The Recipe

500 grams Flour
250 ml Water
1 Pkg Yeast
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
Sea Salt

1 litre water
3 Tablespoons Kaiser Natron(Baking Soda)


Directions

Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.  Pour the yeast/water mixture into the bowl of your kitchen machine. Add, the flour, salt, and sugar. Mix with the dough hook till you have a nice, dry dough.
Form 6 Pretzels. Now is the time to make the "Lauge". Boil 1 litre to water, reduce heat(just a tad) and carefully add the baking soda. Drop the formed dough into the "lauge". The Pretzel will rise shortly, carefully remove with the aid of a slotted spoon and place on the baking sheet. (Baking Sheet should be well "greased". If you want you can sprinkle the Pretzels with sea salt.

Place the baking sheet in a cold oven and turn the oven to 200 Degrees C.  Bake the pretzels for about 18 minutes. The Pretzels are done when they are golden brown.
 










come share with us a new recipe you have recently tried out.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...